Our schedule will:
1. Reflect our mission and belief statements.
2. Give all students access to all classes, avoiding conflicting schedules of specialized classes and preventing any exclusion related to cultural background, physical abilities, socio-economic status, and intellectual status.
3. Provide students with the learning time they need, including technology access to complete writing assignments and other learning activities.
4. Facilitate appropriate decisions to give particular students expanded time and support for successful performance (such as independent study, additional time to work on a project or assignment, or other appropriate methods for the situation).
5. Support our Curriculum Policy, our Instructional Practices Policy, our equity and diversity commitments, and the Goals and Strategies in our School Improvement Plan.
6. Allow teachers shared time to collaborate and plan on a regular basis.
7. Promote reasonable and appropriate enrollments for all classes and appropriate numbers of pupils each teacher works with in the course of a day.
8. Respect the beginning and ending times of the school day and school calendar year as established by the Board of Education.
Annually, the principal will implement a school day schedule that includes any changes that have been adopted by the council.
The school day schedule will be reviewed each year using the following procedures:
Review student performance data and survey data (if available) from students, parents, and staff on how well instructional time is being used.
Brainstorm current time barriers to implementing needed practices and meeting student needs and ways the schedule might be changed to remove those barriers.
Discuss advantages and disadvantages of various changes, focusing on the criteria listed in the first section of this policy.
3. Based on the above work the committee will consult with the principal and make recommendations concerning schedule changes for the coming school year no later than the end of February.
We will evaluate the effectiveness of this policy through our School Improvement Planning Process.
Date Adopted:† _____
Date Reviewed or Revised:† _04/12/2011 Council Chairpersonís Initials __JS___
Date Reviewed or Revised:† _____†††††††††† Council Chairpersonís Initials _____