Acceptable Use Policy
Destiny Card Catalog
Find a Lexile Level
Hardin County Public Library
How to Cite Sources
North Middle School Library Mission Statement:
The mission of the North Middle School library media program is to empower students as proficient readers, effective, self-reliant, and critical users of ideas and information, thereby encouraging lifelong learning.
- Provide resources in a variety of formats and developmentally appropriate levels in order to meet the information and reading needs of students.
- Provide open access to the media center to allow students daily opportunities to browse, explore and use media center resources.
- Provide assistance to students in carrying out resourced-based learning activities.
Library Media Program
At North Middle, we have flexible scheduling. Any student may visit the library at any time even though there are classes who meet at a scheduled time each week. This basically means that even though a student may come into the library with their class on a given day of the week, they are still able to visit the library at any other time.
The advantages of a flexible library media center schedule are many:
- Students develop important skills which will enable them to better manage the information explosion and become more effective users of a wide variety of information resources.
- The media center is used all day, every day, allowing costly school-owned resources to be used more fully.
- Students work independently in using library resources and take on more responsibility for their own learning.
- Students are encouraged to read by being able to check out a book on any day.
- Teachers view the library media center as an extension of their own classroom with the librarian as a partner in the planning and implementing of learning activities for students which meet curricular needs.
- Students are allowed to check out two books at a time. They are due back to the library in two weeks. The books should always be returned in the same condition that they were when they were checked out.