Proper appearance has been shown to have a high relationship to behavior. Students and parents must accept the responsibility concerning this matter. Parents may be contacted when a student’s appearance is considered a possible detriment to the normal school process and orderly operation of the school. HCS – Code of Conduct
The purpose of this dress code is to enhance school safety, improve the learning environment, and promote good behavior. We recommend clothing and footwear suitable for a working atmosphere and appropriate weather.
· Tennis shoes or sturdy, form-fitting shoes are recommended for the school day.
· Flip flops are not permitted.
· Shoes with wheels are not permitted.
· No backless or high heeled shoes are permitted (Sandals with back straps can be worn).
· Shoestrings must be tied tightly at all times.
Pants, shorts, dresses, skirts, and jumpers
· Pants and shorts need to fit snuggly at the waist.
· Sagging clothing is not acceptable.
· Dresses, shorts, and skirts need to be worn as close to the knee as possible.
· Jumpers must have an appropriate shirt underneath.
Shirts, sweaters, and sweatshirts
· Shirts can be with or without a collar.
· Shirts can be short or long sleeved.
· Halter, tank, and thin-strapped tops are not permitted.
· Shirts can be tucked in or worn out. If un-tucked, the length of the shirt should not exceed beyond the middle of the hip (unless wearing leggings)
· Shirts must appropriately cover torso.
· Hooded shirts or sweatshirts may be worn.
· Lightweight sweatshirts and sweaters can be worn.
· Hats are to be removed upon entering the building.
· Gloves, coats, jackets, and sweaters are not worn in the classroom. However, lightweight sweaters and sweatshirts can be worn if student is cold.
· No bandanas, sweatbands, headscarves, combs, picks or other headwear will be worn in the building.
· Clothing items cannot display lettering words, pictures, or graphics that promote drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, gangs, or vulgarity.
· Makeup is deemed inappropriate for elementary students and should not be worn.