Cecilia Valley Elementary School, the school that will replace Howevalley Elementary School, will open its doors to students on Thursday, January 4, 2018. That is the first day of school after Hardin County Schools’ winter break.
“We are extremely thrilled to announce the school is opening at the start of the calendar year,” HCS Superintendent Teresa Morgan said. “We want to thank our students, their families, our staff and the Cecilia and Howevalley communities for being so patient. Everyone was dedicated to see this project through to completion. I am excited that the students and staff will have a wonderful new home in which to learn, teach and experience the vast amount of educational opportunities Cecilia Valley Elementary School offers.”
Cecilia Valley is located at 931 E. Main Street in Cecilia, Kentucky. Ground was broken for the new school in May, 2016. The building’s architect is Sherman Carter Barnhart and Isaac Tatum Construction was the contractor. Several other companies also contributed to the building’s construction.
“Our students and staff are ready for this transition,” (Interim) Principal Carlena Sheeran said. “There are some mixed emotions. Howevalley has been a wonderful home and it has seen several generations of students enter and exit its doors. We hope the community feels as welcome in our new building as it did at Howevalley. Even though we have changed our address, our focus remains on students, their growth, meeting their instructional and developmental needs and providing opportunities for success.”
Here are some notes that parents and community may want to take note of in preparation of the school’s opening on January 4:
- School will start and end at the same times Howevalley Elementary did - 7:40 am and 2:20 pm, respectively.
- The school’s phone number, 270-862-3287, will remain the same. The school’s website is http://www.hardin.kyschools.us/ceciliavalley.
- Bus pick-up and drop-off times may be affected in some fashion for some students since the new school is in a different location. If parents have questions about potential new pick-up or drop-off times, they are encouraged to contact the school, HCS Transportation South End Routing Coordinator Jennifer McCoy (270-769-8965 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit with the student’s bus driver.
- ONLY buses will be allowed behind the building on the right-hand side (when facing the building from the Main Street).
- Only parent drop-off will be allowed behind the building on the left-hand side (when facing the building from the Main Street).
- Parents who wish to walk their student into the building are asked to park in the front of the school building then enter through the main entrance.
- Mrs. Sheeran will send specific directions regarding parent drop off next week.
The school will hold an open house for parents in January and for the community in the spring.
District and school officials will be on hand December 21 to move needed items from Howevalley Elementary School to Cecilia Valley Elementary School.
CLICK HERE for a larger map of traffic flow for parent pick-up and drop-off.